Home > Health > Migraines and Magnesium, A Vital Link

Migraines and Magnesium, A Vital Link

May 10, 2011

I have suffered from migraines since my 30s; they are miserable and at times debilitating. I have improved my diet over the years and conscious about what I eat so as to avoid trigger foods. Before I have a migraine episode, I usually get very tired, a feeling of being run down 3-4 days before the episode occurs. I take Excedrin Migraine and sometimes can stave off the event. What I should be doing is pumping up my magnesium intake as that is the likely culprit. I had a migraine start yesterday morning and lasted all day. I had been very tired since late last week. Then, last night I also got a nasty foot cramp. Guess what? Foot cramps can also be a sign of low magnesium. So, I keep a bottle of Magnesium handy, specifically:

Elemental Magnesium, Amino Acid Chelate, 300mg

I took two capsules and plenty of water. Dehydration can also trigger headaches and foot cramps. I took another 300mg this morning. Headache is nearly gone and foot cramp is all the way gone. I also got a good nights rest.

Here is a good resource to learn more about the role of Magnesium in your body:

AVOID A MIGRAINE — CLICK HERE

Magnesium Does More Than REDUCE STRESS

Magnesium is often referred to as the “antistress” mineral. It is a kind of natural tranquilizer. While calcium stimulates muscle contraction, magnesium relaxes them. Magnesium is also thought to dilate the blood vessels.

Since stress is one of the biggest migraine triggers, this role by itself is important. But magnesium does more, helping to prevent migraines both directly and indirectly:

# Magnesium is an alkaline mineral necessary for EVERY major biochemical process, including: production and transfer of energy
# metabolism of proteins, fats and carbohydrates

Both of these are necessary for the healthy functioning of the brain.

It is also vital for proper functioning of the nervous system — clearly important in migraine prevention — as well as for the functioning of the heart, and for muscle and bone strength.

Magnesium is also a calcium blocker, which gives it a central role in brain chemistry and preventing a migraine.

These are major reasons why successful migraine treatments must include sufficient magnesium for the body.

Where Does The Body Store Magnesium?

About 65% of the magnesium in our bodies is contained in the bones and teeth. The remaining 35% is contained in the muscles (25%) blood, other body fluids, and other tissues — including the brain.

Migraine treatments that ignore the importance of magnesium can put you at risk. Why? When the body needs magnesium for its chemical reactions and does not get sufficient dietary magnesium, it will leach them out of these storage places in your body. Directly or indirectly, this lack of magnesium can lead to migraines and other damage.

What Foods Contain This Mineral?

Magnesium is a key component of chlorophyll, the pigment of plants. Migraine treatments would therefore include dark green vegetables (like spinach, broccoli) in the diet — since all are good sources of magnesium. Also recommended: most nuts (almonds, peanuts, cashews), whole grains, seeds (sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds) and fruits like avocados, bananas, raisins.

What Is The Best Way To Take Supplements?
(If You Do Not Absorb It, It Does You No Good)

Magnesium (like calcium) is an alkaline mineral. It requires an acidic stomach environment for best absorption. Migraine treatments with magnesium recommend taking magnesium between meals or on an empty stomach, especially with a little vitamin C as ascorbic acid. Another good time to take it: bedtime. Two additional benefits of taking it at bedtime: an increased utilization of magnesium; and people tend to sleep better after taking it.

Writer Sandra S. Feder had migraines for years. She found 5 areas of imbalance that were connected to her headaches. Stop Migraine Symptoms Naturally is the book she wrote, showing step by step how she stopped her headaches. Read about this book, or sign up for her FREE e-course: 6 Nuggets Of Migraine Help at the website: http://www.avoidamigraine.com

Related: So just what is the magnesium migraines connection? – click here

Excerpt: Researchers have been investigating the magnesium migraines connection because of magnesium’s role in stabilizing blood vessels walls. Magnesium is also an important mineral when it comes to helping you get to sleep. Regular sleeping patterns are also very important to migraine sufferers. Magnesium also helps in protein synthesis, and keeps your bones strong and helps maintain normal nerve and muscle function.

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: