Wisconsin: Walker Proposes to Eliminate County Government
Governor Scott Walker is being recalled. Why? This man is out of control. He is promoting ideology that is dangerous and counter to fundamental representative democracy. He is foisting his ideas upon the good people of Wisconsin. He wants to privatize government.
Think Progress reports: This week, a Michigan citizens group filed a petition to recall Gov. Rick Snyder (R), who has been radically restructuring his state after being empowered by a new law that allowed him to unilaterally abrogate contracts made by local governments. Snyder has been using this form of “financial martial law” to do things like dispatch an “emergency financial manager” to Detroit who promptly laid off every single one of the city’s teachers.
Now, Forbes’s Rick Ungar has been reporting that he has a well-placed source in Wisconsin who believes that Gov. Scott Walker (R) is planning a similar form of financial martial law. Walker denied the rumor, telling a local radio show that “nobody on his staff or administration is working on such a plan.”
Yet in a new video of Walker addressing the Greater Milwaukee Committee (GMC) in 2009, it appears that Walker, who was then a county executive, may have been insinuating that he supports such a plan under which the state would radically restructure local government finances. He told the GMC that if county boards do not “act on major reforms,” then it’s worth looking into “the possibility of eliminating county government”:
Walker’s Communications Director, Chris Schrimpf, e-mailed Ungar and said that Walker was talking about “finding efficiencies in a local government that is one hundred percent incorporated.” Yet it is unclear how this would necessarily underlie the premise that there has to be “an alternative for county government,” as Walker says in his speech. Either way, if Walker does not support declaring Synder-style financial martial law in Wisconsin, then he should not only say his staff is not working on such a plan but that he disavows such an idea.
Source: Think Progress click here
COPYRIGHT 2011 FAIR USE LAW APPLIES TO ORIGINAL CONTENT AND ALL EXCERPTED MATERIAL ON THIS SITE.
About Path to Well-Being
IT HAS A NAME! — BUY THE PRINT VERSION HERE
KINDLE BOOK VERSION
- RT @SURFER_Magazine: Incredible new tech draws power from the sea. Can wave power save us? srfer.co/oGc943 https://t.co/TErImE6Nux 10 months ago
- RT @SURFER_Magazine: Photo of the Day: Devon Howard, San Diego. Photo: Glaser https://t.co/cfnNmCM5dQ 10 months ago
- RT @BBCEarth: How high could sea levels rise? By @drvivcumming bbc.in/1S0Vbiq https://t.co/hj1UkUCPy9 10 months ago
- RT @climateprogress: Tea Party wave washes up ‘Anti-Parks Caucus’ in Congress: thkpr.gs/3768146 10 months ago
- RT @audubonsociety: Learn about Brown-headed Nuthatch behavior, habitat and more in our online bird guide: ow.ly/10xVQb https://… 10 months ago
- RT @SPACEdotcom: Private Space Habitat to Launch in 2020 Under Commercial Spaceflight Deal dlvr.it/L2DFxR 10 months ago
- RT @ABCbirds1: Worried about the impact of #pesticides on #bees & #birds like #hummingbirds? You can help: buff.ly/1RPI5YI https://… 10 months ago
- RT @AHealthBlog: Mediterranean Diet Protects Against Type 2 #Diabetes ➡ ahealthblog.com/lo25 https://t.co/PbGjaAmBkI 10 months ago
- The Elderly Narcissistic Parent
- Why Modernism Matters
- Pick-A-Payment Loan Modifications
- Remembering Suze Rotolo
- The Curious Case of NOVA and David H. Koch
- Examples of Greenwashing Eco-Propaganda
- Migraines and Magnesium, A Vital Link
- Confronting Narcissism: Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers
- The Art of Manipulation